I know that I have said before that I was contemplating giving up store-bought bread – here and here. While we haven’t actually fully implemented that goal, we definitely do not eat a ton of store-bought bread.
Today I found another reason to give up store-bought bread. I tried homemade bagels, and they were delicious! Much better than what I would typically get at the grocery store!!!
They definitely look homemade, and I need practice on getting them to stay together (although I found that sticking a toothpick in to hold them together while you waited to boil the remaining bagels was actually quite effective). But all that matters (in this house anyway) is taste. My boys do not so much care for or understand presentation.
I started with this recipe.
Here is the recipe after I changed it:
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 4 cups bread flour
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1/2 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (yes I really mean now and not in two hours) As soon as the oven reaches the temperature turn it off).
- Combine 1 1/4 cup water, sugar, salt and yeast and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Add flour and vegetable oil.
- Mix on low speed (I, of course, used by stand mixer) using the dough hook until well-developed, about 10-12 minutes.
- Pull the edge of the dough to see if it stretches. If it breaks it is not ready yet so keep mixing with your dough hook. T
- Spray bowl with Pam, put dough in the bowl, and cover with a towel.
- Place bowl in warmed oven and let rise for 2 hours. I promise that this helps the dough rise much better, especially on a cold winter day.
- Preheat oven to 475.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bring water to boil in a large pot.
- Punch the dough down, place it on a lightly floured work surface, and use a knife to divide the dough into 8 pieces (these were plenty big).
- Roll each piece of dough about 8 inches long. Join the ends to form a circle.
- Let the bagels rest for 15 minutes.
- Add honey to boiling water.
- Boil the bagels, two at a time. Boil for one minute and then turn over and boil for another minute.
- Remove the bagels and place them on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the bagels begin to brown, 15 to 20 minutes.