Public Service Announcement: Please make sure that you have several other people in the house when you make these brownies. Otherwise there will be nothing stopping you from eating the entire pan of brownies. They are AMAZING.
The original recipe comes from Newleyweds and can be found here. Follow the recipe exactly because the recipe is perfect! I made a few tweaks because I was short on a couple of things, but I highly recommend not changing the recipe in the slightest.
Here is a copy of the recipe (with the tweaks that I used) – but in the spirt of full disclosure this is NOT my recipe. I changed it a bit because I change everything, but if you want the original source go here.
- 1 cup unsalted butter (two sticks), at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 container red food coloring
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 X 13 clear glass baking pan with Pam.
- In a stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition, then stir in food coloring and milk. I used half of a container of food coloring (way less than what the recipe called for) and it was seriously deficient. The brownies still tasted AMAZING, but they did not look as wonderful as the original recipe.
- Mix flour, cocoa and salt in a separate bowl.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir up the batter with a rubber spatula to ensure the flour is incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes.
I know you are not supposed to, but I cut and ate these and ate a brownie right out of the oven. And then I ate a second.
I told Ryan that next time I am going to add chocolate chips or maybe marshmallows to the recipe. But now I am thinking that maybe I won’t. Instead I am trying to figure out the next time that I will make these wonderful brownies, and where I can buy red food coloring in bulk!