Yesterday I came across this fantastic recipe for smothered chicken.
I cut down on the butter and added more chicken, to make it a little healthier (because I am officially on a wedding diet), and overall it was delicious.
I will definitely be keeping this one in the regular rotation!!
Here is the recipe:
- 3.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (I cut most of these in half because they were so monstrous. We ended up with a total of nine servings worth of chicken)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 sweet onion, finely diced
- 4-6 cloves of garlic (depends on the size)
- 1 bag baby spinach
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 plum tomatoes (next time I will either omit the tomatoes — to much liquid — or use sundried tomatoes)
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray to make cleanup easier.
- Trim fat off chicken and season based on your preferences (I used garlic powder, pepper, paprika, red pepper flake, and little seasoning salt).
- Bake chicken for 24 minutes
- Melt butter in saute pan over medium-low heat. Add onion and saute until translucent. Add half the garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted.
- Reduce heat to low and add cream cheese and parmesan cheese.
- In a separate pan, over medium heat, melt butter. Add mushrooms and saute until most of the liquid is gone. Add the rest of the garlic and salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove chicken from oven, turn each chicken breast over, and then top with mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach and cheese mixture, and mozzarella cheese
- Return chicken to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes.
I served these with baked french fries (one of Ryan’s favorites!)
And for the rest of you on a health kick, here is the nutritional information. (I ended up getting nine pieces of chicken once I cut the chicken breast into normal sized pieces)
- Calories – 333
- Fat – 11
- Carbs – 3
- Protien – 44