Yum Yum Yum!!!!
This may potentially be the best bread I have ever made. The crust was amazing!!!!I have tried a few bread recipes over the last year or two – here and here – so I am thinking that we may need to have a bread cooking challenge to determine once and for all the best of the bests. I am sure Ryan will not complain. In case you haven’t noticed, this house will never be a carb free house.
I started with this recipe from the Lean Green Bean. I needed to tweak the recipe because I didn’t have any bread flour or whole wheat flour. I know that one should not mess with recipes while baking, but I have thus far been successful with changing recipes and not having any major catastrophes.
Here is the recipe that I ended up with:
- 3 cups all purpose flour (plus more for kneading)
- 1 tsp salt
- Pinch of sugar
- 1½ c warm water
- 2¾ tsp active dry yeast
- Pour the warm water into bowl of stand mixer.
- Add yeast and a pinch of sugar and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and flour and stir until a ball of dough is formed. Watch closely and stop the mixer as soon as a ball forms.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and spray with nonstick spray. Place the dough back in the bowl and cover and let rise in a warm place for 3 hours. (I put the bowl by the window in the sun because it was nice and sunny outside, but otherwise I would have put the dough in a warmed oven).
- Remove dough from the bowl and knead for 5-10 minutes. Place dough back in the bowl and let it rise again.
- While dough is rising, place your dutch oven (uncovered) in the oven and preheat to 430 degrees F. Leave the dutch oven in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Carefully drop into the dutch oven.
- Cover and let bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and let bake 10 minutes longer.
- Remove loaf from dutch oven and let cool. (But do not let it cool too much because warm bread fresh out of the oven is the best!)
As soon as I sliced into the bread, I knew it was going to be delicious!!!!
My only complaint was that it would be difficult to make multiple loaves at one time. Ryan pointed out that this is probably a good thing because we would want to eat all of the bread right away!!! That boy sure comes in useful sometimes!!!